Thursday, September 16, 2010

Some thoughts as I journey into 2.0...

I was reading Jen Scott Curwood's article "Beyond Google" and she made a fantastic point.  She points out that students primarily use the web as a reseach tool, which is a wonderful use of it, however through tools such as blogging, wikis, flickr, facebook and twitter to name few, they can actually create and publish their work on the web!  How exciting for both students and teachers alike!

As I’ve mentioned a few times already, using Web 2.0 in the classroom is new to me...  I’ve been reading Will Richardson’s book, “Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms” and have found myself both humbled and inspired.  I feel as though I have so much to learn.  While I’m familiar with most of the tools he talks about, I didn’t realise their sophistication and all of the possibilities within them.  Not only that, if I want to employ these Web 2.0 tools, I need to rethink/restructure how I plan, teach and facilitate for learning.  I see one common thread running through these suggested web teaching tools – the idea that using web tools in the classroom allows student to learn globally – suddenly the world is their classroom.  I love the idea that students can connect with and/or learn from others around the world, from all walks of life.  I believe the global aspect of these tools is reason enough for my putting effort into learning about them and trying them out with my students.

While excited about these Web 2.0 tools, I have questions about using them in the classroom setting. 
            -How can I ensure student safety when working online?
            -What age is too young to use these tools?
-How can teachers working in schools with limited internet/computer access use these tools effectively?
-How can a busy teacher like me keep up with the ever-changing online world?
-In what ways can Web 2.0 tools be used to maximize student learning in classroom and library settings?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacey,

    I like the questions you pose at the end of your post. They are good guiding questions for your thinking.

    Try to get a "hook" - a story, a metaphor, an image that helps with your themes, ideas and comments.

    ReplyDelete